Friday, June 4, 2010

#15 NON JUDGMENT

Here's another in six sentences. See sixsentences.blogspot.com.

Lately it has occurred to me that I judge people in many and varied ways: on their appearance, clothing, grooming, verbal skills or lack thereof, their car, pets, food choices, their use or non-use of technology, their use of profanity, alcohol, drugs and cigarettes and as always, their taste in music and art. I do not know where all this comes from as I am not so perfect myself.

I decided I needed help so I visited a a famous spiritual guru to see if together we could get a handle on so much judgment rattling around in my brain, day in and day out, because if I am not perfect, as I suspect I am not, I need to let up on everyone else--ho hum.

Non-judgment, this teacher says, is a state we should all cultivate and maintain, that creativity cannot sneak in amongst that manic categorizing.

That the monkey mind is spinning a web of deceit, despair, over-anxious seeking..."Just shut it down," he says.

And with that command I immediately begin to judge my spinning web of deceit, despair, over-anxious seeking...and know, henceforth, that the game cannot be won by me or anyone else.

Which is precisely why I got into this business of visiting gurus in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment