Wednesday, June 9, 2010

#16 NOT SO DOGGONE FUNNY

The workshop on humorous writing was in full swing. We were told to write a couple of paragraphs about ourselves, something humorous; to make fun of ourselves which, we were told, is where all humor writing should begin. At the moment, I am homeless and sleeping on a funky couch in someone's trailer. At the moment, I smell like a dog because the couch actually belongs to a dog and I am the interloper. I did not take a shower this morning because I wanted to get out of the trailer first thing this morning and did not know I smelled like a dog. I don't find this particularly amusing as I am not a dog lover and feel somewhat chagrined. The dog probably does not like giving way to me either but has no choice as I am much bigger.

It is not amusing at all to be homeless even though I am not officially on the street. I do not consider it a winning point to crash with someone and uproot the dog who may or may not like its routine upset. I don't like crashing on someone's couch and smelling like a dog. I am a somewhat fussy about smells, buying very expensive cosmetics just for their fragrance but all that is negated by being homeless, crashing on a somewhat dirty couch and smelling like a dog.

I have done my couple of paragraphs and find nothing about this humorous. Maybe in time I will look back on it and find it so but today I am distracted by the smell coming from my hair which is similar to a wet dog's fur. The time is up for our humorous take on ourselves. I don't think I have been funny at all and I don't think I will find it funny to be on the same couch tonight. I will take a shower and put on clean clothes which is not funny but may make me feel a little better about myself.

So no, I'm not laughing. Homeless is not funny. Dogs can be funny if you have the right frame of mind to find them so but so far I haven't been able to see the humor. Very soon I will reread this and decide if it could be funny or possibly made funny with some artifice and then I will be pleased but for now I fail to see the humor and my writing will have to get less dire if I am ever to be funny. For now, we will accept that my humorous attempt to make a crummy situation funny has, to all intents and purposes, been a failure but the workshop does not end until six and I have time to laugh at my situation though there is not anything at all funny about sleeping on someone's couch and making the dog sleep in the chair. Now the chair smells like a wet dog and that is also not very funny. Some people find animals a source of humor and I'd like to give the dog that, but I can't find the humor in smelling like a dog. I know some might laugh at me, with my makeup and jewelry carefully in place, smelling like a wet dog but people like to laugh at others. We are told however, in this exercise not to laugh at others but at ourselves. This I have been unable to do in a couple of paragraphs even though I am typing like mad.

Well, enough of my situation, if there is no humor, better to let it go. I know we are supposed to be able to laugh at ourselves and I'm sure I will soon enough. I just don't like being homeless and sleeping on a couch belonging to a dog and seeing his sad eyes when I wake up in the morning in his spot, looking and smelling like a homeless person; this is not even funny to the dog though why would it be? I'm not sure dogs have a sense of humor but if they do, this one is not amused by my sleeping on his couch, being relegated to the chair or smelling the expensive French cosmetics I use hoping to not smell like a wet dog. Nothing funny about any of it but tomorrow I can try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment